While most people believe disability insurance is important, many of them don’t realize the odds of becoming disabled.
Around 64% of Americans believe their chances of becoming disabled are much lower than the actual odds.1
61% of working Americans believe people need disability insurance, but only 26% own any.2
And it’s extremely beneficial for women because pregnancy qualifies as a short-term disability.
In 2015, there were nearly 4,000,000 births in the U.S.3
But most people are not financially prepared if they did experience a disability.
Half of the American population has less than one month’s income saved for emergencies.4
According to the Federal Reserve Board, 43% of Americans could not meet an unexpected expense of $400.5
Less than 5% of disabling accidents and illnesses are work related. The other 95% are not, meaning Workers' Compensation doesn't cover them.6
Just 23% of American workers have employers who offer short-term disability insurance.7
Our Short-Term Disability (STD) plans pay benefits when sickness or injury prevents you from working full time. It protects you and your family so you can focus on getting well and getting back to work.
Contact us to learn how we can help meet your short-term disability insurance needs.
LIMRA. "Facts from LIMRA: 2015 Disability Insurance Awareness Month." www.limra.com/uploadedFiles/limra.com/LIMRA_Root/Posts/PR/_Media/PDFs/2015%20DIAM%20FINAL.pdf. Published 2015. Accessed January 18, 2017.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "National Vital Statistics Reports." "www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr66/nvsr66_01.pdf. Published January 5, 2017. Accessed January 18, 2017.
CFED. "Treading Water in the Deep End." "www.issuu.com/cfednews/docs/2014_scorecard_report. Published January 29, 2014. Accessed January 17, 2017.
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. "Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households in 2015." federalreserve.gov/2015-report-economic-well-being-us-households-201605.pdf. Published May 2016. Accessed September 27, 2016.
Council for Disability Awareness, Long-Term Disability Claims Review, 2012
Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Table 16. Insurance benefits: Access, participation, and take-up rates,1 State and local government workers, National Compensation Survey, March 2014." www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/benefits/2014/ownership/govt/table16a.pdf. Published March 2014. Accessed January 19, 2017.